Thursday, November 17, 2005

Work The Shaft

We are talking about elevators sicko.. so you can just get your mind out of the gutter.

I hate elevators. I have been stuck in an elevator before with 9 or so people and sat there helpless for 15 minutes. Now that might not seem like a long time, but in a full elevator, in the heat of summer with no AC and no chance for an escape and a full cart.. It's a death sentence.

I would characterize myself as a fairly rational indivdual, considerate of people with excellent communications skills. However, when put in a situation of panic all that nice bullshit is out the window.

First comes the hot breathing and the rapid heart beating. Then the air feels thin and the space around you starts to close. Then the assholes in the cart start saying shit like "We may be here for a while" or " I hope we don't die in here". Now call me crazy, but the one thing you don't want to mention to someone during a panic attack is death.

I was the first to press every fire / emergency button in the cart, and also the first to suggest we pry open the cart and floor doors. After 15 minutes we did just that and pried open all of the doors to find that we were stuck between floors. Now I don't watch 6 feet under, but apparently helping one another out while inbetween floors isn't the smartest idea. Being the chivalrous person I am I lept the fuck off that hot box first and ran to the stairs. I might have even screamed while jumping out "Get the fuck out of my way".

Good luck shit heads- I am out of here. Bottom line is we all escaped and my present from the experience is an intense phobia of elevators (particularly in piece of shit building like the one I work in here in Manhattan).

So, I guess I am saying in a time of panic it's every man for themselves and stay the fuck out of my way. God I hate elevators.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home